Christ Is King!
Old World Underground
🐸 Citizen of the Internet 🐸
City of Oakland Mayor is branded racist for giving families of color $500 a month if they earn under $59,000 with no rules on how they spend it - but offering poor white families nothing
- Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf announced race-based program to give families of color $500 monthly checks
- Half of the $500 grants will be to families earning under $30,000, in the predominantly 'BIPOC' East Oakland area
- The program, funded by wealthy private donors, explicitly excludes poor white families
- An estimated 10,000 of Oakland's 435,000 population are white residents who live in poverty, defined by earning less than $12,880
- Many of the wealthy white city residents are 'young transplants', who move to the Bay Area for high paying jobs in tech and finance
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, left, is offering $500 monthly checks to low income families of color. But with 10,000 white city residents below the poverty line, she's been accused of racism.